Thursday, November 26, 2009

My parents have dark hair. My sister and I have red hair and i have blue eyes. What are the odds?

My father's grandmother was red headed, as were all of her 9 brothers and sisters, many with blue eyes. My mother's grandmother was a very deep auburn color which is closer to my sisters hair than mine which is more vibrant as opposed to my sister's deeper tones. As I said before I have blue eyes while she has brown. Both of our parents are brown haired with brown eyes and we are both bright red heads. What are the odds of this happening?



My parents have dark hair. My sister and I have red hair and i have blue eyes. What are the odds?

you sure your dad is your biological father? joking.... it is very odd event. assume the hair color is a single allele trait (which is not correct, it is just for simplicity) the odds is about 1/256.



My parents have dark hair. My sister and I have red hair and i have blue eyes. What are the odds?

it's in the genes. you said yourself that both grandmothers had red or auburn hair...one of the wonders of biology.



My parents have dark hair. My sister and I have red hair and i have blue eyes. What are the odds?

Your hair color usually follows the fathers maternal traits. It's not odd at all - normal!



My parents have dark hair. My sister and I have red hair and i have blue eyes. What are the odds?

when sperms and eggs form in the body there will be recombinations . u have 50% of ur father's DNA and 50% of ur mother's DNA if u r a female when u produce eggs there willbe exchange of DNA portions between ur fathers and mothers Which is present in your cell . same thing will happens in your husband during production of sperm.



this exchange of DNA particles is called recombination.



due to this recombination variations may come in ur child but that variations (characters) should be present in ur ancesters.



My parents have dark hair. My sister and I have red hair and i have blue eyes. What are the odds?

If you use classical Mendelian genetics, which are not 100% accurate for hair and eye color (more than one gene involved for each, and some genes are linked), you can calculate the following, approximately, by looking at the grandparents and parents:



Mom's mom: red hair, eye color not stated



Mom's dad: probably dark hair/eyes, right?



Mom: brown/brown (dominant gene, heterozygous)



Dad's dad: probably dark hair/eyes, right?



Dad's mom: red hair, blue eyes, all throughout family



Dad: brown/brown (dominant gene, heterozygous)



Red hair and blue eyes are both recessive genes, and since it red hair showed up in both you and your sister, both your parents are carrying the gene for it. You didn't mention how many of your grandparents have blue eyes. Odds are about 25% for each of you getting the red hair, so .25*.25= ~6% for both of you being redheads, but this is a simplification.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Faratech